A Proper Brit | Losing It Review


Description from Goodreads:

Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, Bliss Edwards decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible — a one night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognises her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed 8 hours earlier.


I saw Losing It by Cora Carmack on a Back To School blog post by Books To The Tea and knew that I had to read it. And I'm glad that I did. I've read All Lined Up: A Rusk University Novel By Cora Carmack, so I knew that I liked her style of writing. The characters in Losing It were really engaging, Bliss was constantly making me laugh, her awkwardness a constant source of humour. Carmack created Garrick, Bliss' hot professor, a Brit, most of the time authors from outside the UK that try to create an English character fail miserably. Well, not Carmack. Garrick was believable, his language was realistic and not too over the top. Carmack definitely got British spot on.

Bliss is a drama student, the drama and theatre side to college is not something that I've read in other books set in college. With a drama background myself I found this really interesting. The eccentric actors were very entertaining.

Bliss and Garrick's relationship developed really well. The tension built constantly, there was no insta-love, Carmack even got in a little dig at insta-love.

"I know he was your first and all, but that does not mean you have to jump into insta-love. This was purely physical that's it. If you try to do something stupid like marry this boy, I will personally drag you kicking and screaming away from the altar."

Okay, so I liked the characters and how the relationship developed at a realistic speed, but the sensible side of my brain kept screaming but he's her PROFESSOR! It's her last semester at college, couldn't they both just wait a couple months? I (eventually) got over the teacher-student love affair and really enjoyed the book. The Epilogue switched perspectives, so we got to hear Garrick's point of view for the first time which was a really nice touch.

Losing It is a hysterical and enjoyable read, it's definitely up there as one of my favourite books set in college/university. Did you enjoy Losing It? I'd love to hear what you thought of Losing It in the comments! If you're new to the blog I'd love you to follow me on Bloglovin' too!

Losing It by Cora Carmack
4 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,