Pawn by Aimee Carter | Review



Description from Goodreads:

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and freed to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked - surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly forced, the same one that got her killed and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose - and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted games she's only beginning to understand.


I have a little bit of an obsession with The Winner's Curse, on my Kindle I looked through the books similar to The Winner's Curse. Pawn was listed, I found the premise really interesting so I downloaded it.

I enjoyed Pawn, the world building was very successful. Pawn is a dystopian novel set in America (as all dystopian books seem to be). The rank system is a tried and tested feature in books of this genre, and Carter utilised it successfully.

Kitty agrees to become a VII, without knowing the consequence of her actions, or what such a decision will cost her. She wakes up in a beautiful bedroom as a different person. Kitty becomes the Prime Minister's niece, and with the help of Celia and Knox (Lila's mother and fiancé) she learns about the rebellion.

I liked Kitty, some of her decisions were silly and naive, she talked about her boyfriend Benjy a lot. As with so many Young Adult dystopian books our heroine has an all encompassing love. I thought that Kitty and Knox's relationship may develop and become more than just appearances, the fact this didn't happen slightly disappointed me.

I liked Pawn, the book ended on a cliffhanger, so I'll probably be reading the sequel. If you like The Winner's Curse or The Chemical Garden Trilogy then I definitely recommend this book!
If you're new to this blog then I'd love for you to follow me on Bloglovin'!

'Pawn' by Aimee Carter
4 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,