Predictability Gone Wild | Promise Me This Review


Charlie is from the South, it's all she's ever known. When the only person who pushed her to break free from her mother's mould dies, she starts to live her own life. Charlie travels to California to pack up her brother's belongings. While she's in California she goes to her brother's old hangout and meets Jhett, and he knows a lot about her. Charlie and Jhett start dating, but can she trust him based on his word alone?


I enjoyed reading this book to begin with. But it all just got a little boring round about the 75% mark. There's only so much fantastic relationship I could read without getting slightly annoyed. There was a secret lurking around, and it took forever to be told what it was (although it was pretty obvious). 

Jhett keeps his secret for most of the book, and when it does come out I felt that Sarah Ashley Jones crafted the whole scene very well. Charlie doesn't go crazy shouting and screaming, sure she gets angry, but it's because he didn't tell her. I really appreciated the distinction in why she was angry, because far too often characters get crazy angry for no reason.

Charlie's parents are awful, controlling her life, and cutting her off when she doesn't follow their plan. But that's not to say that Charlie is the only one with an awful family, Jhett's sister is crazy awful. What is Ginger's problem? Okay, the love of your life died, but does that give you permission to be an absolute COW? And I'm sorry, but blaming your brother is a pathetic excuse. Man up and face the pain, don't start hating on all your friends and family.

I basically predicted the entirety of Promise Me This, there was a plot twist that I didn't expect, but it felt rushed and like it was squeezed in. I was able to cope with the predictability, but the ending was totally NOT OKAY. To Be Continued… You've got to be kidding me! I don't want to have to get a second book to find out what happens! But if I want to know, I'm going to have to buy the next one. SO uncool.

Promise Me This left me feeling underwhelmed. I didn't connect with the characters, and the ending really bugged me. How did you find Promise Me This? Let me know what you thought of it in the comments. If you're new to the blog I'd love you to follow me on Bloglovin'!

'Promise Me This' by Sarah Ashley Jones
3 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , ,