The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark | Review



Description from Goodreads:

Maddy Spier has been in love with the boy next door forever. As his figure skating partner she spends time in his arms every day. But she's also seen his arms around other girls — lots of other girls.

Gabe can't imagine skating with anyone but Maddy, and together they have a real chance at winning some serious gold medals. So, he's determined to keep thinking of her like a sister. After all, he's never had a romantic relationship that lasted for more than two weeks.

But when their coach assigns a new romantic skating program, everything changes. Will this be the big break that Maddy's been hoping for or the big breakup that Gabe has always feared?

My feelings towards The Boy Next Door were very much a roller coaster, one minute I was loving it and the next I was left feeling disappointed. The Boy Next Door was featured in my First Impression Friday, which you can check out here.

I never really fell for Gabe, so it was mainly during his chapters that I wasn't feeling it. He was nice enough, but ask any teacher and they'd tell you to go and grab a thesaurus and find a better word. 

So maybe I didn't love Gabe, but the ice skating? Got to say I loved it! I always watch the figure skating whenever it's on the TV and especially during the Olympics, so I was reading The Boy Next Door reminiscing over my childhood dream of becoming a figure skater. Sad to say it's not a dream that was meant to be. 

I really liked Mad, she's determined and focussed on her dream of becoming a figure skating champion, and which also happens to be a relationship with Gabe both on and off the ice. She really had to persevere to win Gabe over to her way of thinking, not because he didn't like her in that way, but because he didn't want to ruin their partnership. I can't make my mind up whether I think this is sweet or selfish.

I actually felt quite sorry for Mad, she had a lot going on in her life, lots of things to think about and process, not to mention worry about! Gabe was a good friend to Maddy, and I think redeemed himself a little bit in that way. 

The Boy Next Door was an enjoyable YA romance. The figure skating backdrop to the novel was definitely interesting and not something I can say I've read before! Have you read The Boy Next Door? Let me know what you thought in the comments!

'The Boy Next Door' by Katie Van Ark
4 Stars

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,